Konga / Jumia

Sunday 18 December 2016

Nobody forced me to concede defeat in 2015 – Jonathan

Click for Full Image Size
Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan has said that nobody, whether within the country or outside the country, persuaded nor forced him to concede defeat in the 2015 elections that got President Muhammadu Buhari to power.

The former President said, instead, his decision to concede was borne out of his personal principles and convictions that  his ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian.
Ex-President Goodluck Jonathan and Former Head of state, Yakubu Gowon at Bingham University, Nasarawa state, where they were conferred with honorary doctorate degrees
Dr. Jonathan gave the statement in a speech, Saturday, at Bingham University, Nasarawa state, where he was conferred with honorary doctorate degree alongside former military Head of state, Yakubu Gowon.
Jonathan also said that his reason for conveying the 2014 National Conference was to come up with a polity that will bring unity in the country as well ensure a country devoid of tension and crisis.
''It is my belief that no one's political ambition is worth the blood of any Nigerian. And I am fulfilled knowing that my conceding while the votes were still being compiled, which was born out of my personal principles and convictions, is generating positive impact in other nations. Let me make it clear, that I was not persuaded to do so by anyone within or outside the country. I know it was the right thing to do.
''My mantra 'my ambition is not worth the blood of any Nigerian' is my vow. It was not just a political slogan. One of the reason I convened the 2014 National Conference was to come up with a polity devoid of tension and crisis. A polity that will bring unity to this country. A polity that will not divide us along tribal, ethnic or religious lines'' he added.

No comments: